- 50 grams raw grain kernels (= 3-4 Tbsp.) per person, like wheat, rye, spelt, oats, barley, millet,…. (I use wheat, rye, spelt and millet mixed)
- Fresh fruit (chopped, grated, mashed) – roughly one piece per person, if available, always some grated apple – makes it fluffier (I always use a mashed banana and a grated apple for 2 people and then add kiwi, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc. according to season and availability)
- Raw nuts (chopped) or seeds to taste (If using flax seeds, grind them.)
- 30 – 40 ml (~ 2 tbsp.) whipping cream (I whip enough cream for 2-3 days and keep it in the fridge. It doesn’t have to be whipped, if you don’t have time, but it gets a nicer texture.)
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice (I use 1/2 a lemon for 2 people)
- 1 tsp. honey (optional and should not be used every day) (I don’t use honey, because the banana makes it sweet enough for us)
- Grind grains coarsely. If you don’t have a grain mill, use a coffee grinder.
- Add cold tap water and mix. (Just enough water so that none has to be poured away after soaking. Try with as many ml of water as you use grams of grains and adjust to make a nice thick paste.)
- Cover loosely and let stand for 5 – 12 hours. If you want to eat this for breakfast, you have to grind the grains and soak them the night before.
- Add the other ingredients and mix. This should be eaten once a day, although the time of day does not matter, but it always has to be prepared fresh. (We eat this for breakfast every day.)
Some general comments:
- Eat slowly and chew well.
- This will keep you satiated for 3 – 4 hours.
- Gives your body wholesome and healthy nutrients.
- Side effects if eaten daily: Regular bowel movement, more energy, increased general well-being, increased attention span, smooth skin, shiny hair, strong nails, etc.
- In the beginning, some people might experience increased flatulence. Don’t let it discourage you. Your intestinal flora needs a few weeks to adjust to diet changes.
- People with a sensitive digestive tract should avoid all refined sugars, juices and dried fruit as the sugar can cause discomfort in combination with whole grains.